18 October 2015

Querulous rooks

They have learnt patience and silence
Listening to the rooks querulous in the high wood.
Derek Mahon, A Disused Shed in Co. Wexford 

Travels this summer brought us to friends in Kilkenny, Westmeath and Donegal. In the 'van we went to Clare and Tipperary. In spite of the rather awful summer, the journeys--short and all as they were--brought home to us once again what a lovely country we live in. Though it's a country that sadly shows traces of rural de-population at many's the turn.

Close to our friends' house in Kilkenny, a farm lies deserted, left to someone who won't be living there. Sheds crumble and weeds take hold, and always the rooks circle through and around the spreading oaks and high sycamores, landing in tattered raucous groups only to rise again. The shed brought to mind Derek Mahon's well-known poem. I don't understand the depths of some of Mahon's work, but he has written many beautiful and accessible poems, some of which work on many levels and resonate even for those of us who don't have a classical education or a well rounded literary background. His poems will turn up here again for sure.

Deserted farmyard, midsummer

Disused shed, midsummer
You'll hear some rooks here as well as blackbirds et al. Fintan O'Brien again. Great stuff. 


eh... did I say summer?

Iz keeping watch as one of her humans disappears into the sea (Donegal)

Spot the schauzer - Burren Karst (Clare)

It wasn't all gloom - there were some sunny days; view from a campsite in Co. Clare
Glen of Aherlow (Tipperary), seen from a walk near another campsite
The reason we went to Tipperary was to visit Birdhill Nurseries to see the original of Betula utilis, var. jacquemontii 'White Light' (I hope I have that right). It's one of the plants that features in the new project being run by the ISBA, this time in conjunction with the Irish Garden Plant Society. A series of Irish heritage plants will be celebrated in paintings and words and brought together in a book and exhibition next year. I was assigned the birch and I'm delighted and daunted. The tree is a cross between B. jacquemontii and B. costata, with the beautiful white bark of the former and the autumn colour of the latter. To my eye, 'White Light' also seems to have more plentiful and more 'stretched out' lenticels on the bark than the jacquemontii has (I've three jacquemontiis in my front garden, so I've something to compare with!).

We found Birdhill Nurseries without too much trouble but only to discover that, sadly, John Buckley died just over a year ago. But Mrs Buckley very kindly welcomed us to the garden and let us stay to photograph and sketch the tree (and others in the garden), which we did. In the rain. I ended up with a few very spattered sketchbook pages and some very rough sketches. Mrs B also let us take away some small branches with leaves as well as some of the beautiful bark and said we could come back any time to check up on it. I've found this before and it was lovely to discover it again: when you're doing a project like this, so-o-o many people are kind and interested and helpful. I've had another member of the IGPS posting photos of his 'White Light' birch (thanks PT!) and I know I've an open invitation to visit the tree any time. Lovely stuff.

So, have I been making good use of all this good will? The rolls of bark are still on my desk, I've drawn the leaves and branches. I've done some messing about with colours. And I've hassled other artists (at the ISBA support days in the Bots) about composition. Now all that's left is the Terror! I'm going to have to, you know, do a portrait of the tree.
Nervous. Very nervous.

Starting to look at colours

Practising on Bristol Board


Trying out bark sketches on Fabriano paper

Sketch sketch sketch 
And again on the Fabriano paper
Did I mention very nervous?

Okay, enough of the nerves; I'll finish with a smile:


Oh, was it only me who found it funny? You aren't rocking with laughter; this should be slated; you don't give a schist; if you're laughing, it's just to be gneiss?

Sorry :-)

Go well all.

6 comments:

  1. The evolution of rock formation is VERY reassuring!!!! When I consider my very own evolution from birth to the wrong side of 60, am I glad or sad I'm not a rock???!!! Graineweile xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...and always the rooks circle through and around the spreading oaks and high sycamores, landing in tattered raucous groups only to rise again." - must be among the most beautiful things that you've composed. S

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am flabbergasted by the amount of preparatory work which goes into one of these paintings; so much travelling to view the subject, so much sketching and colour testing. One feature of the tree which I find very attractive and quite unique is that when the bark peels it reveals a very unexpected suede/buff/warm sandy colour. On Betual utilis 'Jacquemontii' the revealed bark is quite white so this is very different. Best wishes with the project and looking forward to seeing the finished work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paddy! Actually the finding the plant, the travelling, the 'getting to know you' are all part of the fun. I think many of us found this with the Alphabet/Aibítir project too: at the end of it, we knew our plants really well. I can spot a yew tree (even young ones) at a hundred paces now :-)

      Delete